April 5, 2025
Brazil midfielder Douglas Luiz is tipped to sign a new deal with Aston Villa, despite interest in him from Man City and Arsenal

Douglas Luiz is tipped to sign a new deal with Aston Villa

Aston Villa are hopeful that they can convince Douglas Luiz to sign a new deal at Villa Park this summer with possible overtures from both Arsenal and Manchester City to be rejected – subject to one big condition.

The Brazil midfielder is enjoying an outstanding season for Unai Emery’s side, who have their  Champions League destiny in their own hands but face a critical game on Sunday in the race for the top four when Aston Villa welcome nearest challengers Tottenham to Villa Park. That game on Sunday will likely have a significant bearing on which of the pair secures a top-four finish this season, with Manchester United also waiting in the wings for a slip-up from either.

However, Luiz has been incredibly competitive this season, demonstrating why he’s currently considered one of the Premier League’s best midfield players and may possibly have a chance to be nominated for PFA Player of the Year.

Read also: Vincent Kompany Stands Firm: Confident His Judgment on Burnley Goalkeeper Will Be Vindicated

With 26 Premier League appearances so far this season, the 25-year-old star has five assists and nine goals, and Villa has placed a minimum £100 million tag on his head due to his performance.

Villa’s appraisal of Luiz does not appear excessive when compared to the prices spent for players like Declan Rice (£105 million), Moises Caicedo (£100 million, increasing to £115 million), and Enzo Fernandez (£106.7 million).

Nonetheless, there would be a clutch of clubs looking to prise him away if Villa gave any indication they would be willing to discuss his sale. And amid worrying reports Villa may need to cash in on a star name this summer to ease their financial pressures, Luiz has seen himself tipped up as a possible target for two of the Premier League’s highest-ranked sides.

Douglas Luiz, a target for Man City and Arsenal, will “sign new contract.”
In fact, Arsenal has been considering him for the better part of two years, and in the summer of 2022, they saw a £25 million offer for his services turned down. With the increasing expense of elite-level midfielders, that fee almost looks ridiculous now, but from Villa’s perspective, at least they made the right decision by rejecting that strategy.

However, with the uncertainty surrounding Mohamed Elneny, Thomas Partey, and Jorginho’s futures at Emirates Stadium, Arsenal is heavily favoured to revive their interest in Luiz this summer.

“You’re always nervous that your best players could be sold,” former Villa man Alan Hutton told Football Insider.

“You think that of John McGinn or Ollie Watkins – you always have those fears.

“When your players are doing well, there’s always going to be clubs watching them.

“That being said, if Villa finish strong, do well in the Conference League and get Champions League football, then he’ll get rewarded.”

Star is happy at Villa Park

Discussing Luiz’s future, Hutton is convinced the player is happy at Villa Park and would not hesitate to commit to a new deal, despite interest in his services from other Premier League sides.

“He loves the fans and the fans love him.

“Would he want to move from Villa when you feel something special is building? I wouldn’t.”

READ ALSO: Kenny Miller Speculates on Rangers Transfer Dilemma for ‘High-Level’ 22-Year-Old: Stay or Go?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *